Thursday, September 10, 2015

Random Terrain Generator



Building scenery for platform games is time consuming to say the least...   finding art, laying out the levels and lining things up..  creating collisions and interactive objectives are just a few of the problems we face as game developers.


I want to show you an easier way,


Now granted this is a pretty simple layout, you can add as few or as much detail to this formula as you wish...

The possibilities are endless!

After I got done with this my mind started racing on other game ideas that I could do with the sine sprite generators I used in this build.

I have already used this design in a similar build that flopped big time...   but its not the fault of the formula for creating random scenery, it was just a crappy idea for a game I guess.

you can play the game here if you would like to see the failed "Cave Runner" for android
OR... play it on a desktop computer here: "Cave Runner"

Here is a video of the sine sprite generator used in the cave runner game... done in a vertical style cave layout.




Game design is hard, out of around 16 apps at the time of this blog post only "two"  of my apps I consider to be successful.  2 out of 16 is OK odds I guess, as I started this as a hobby at my kitchen table to keep me out of trouble.  


If you like my blogs, videos or just want to see me blunder around with Construct 2, follow me on youtube, Blogger and check out my website at www.AppCrashCourse.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
James is an herbal enthusiast from south Carolina , a follower of the Christian faith & believer in Jesus Christ. Through his own health struggles James has become a respected authority in natural healing and herbal remedies.